Water damaged transmission advice
When insurance companies become involved in an automotive flood claim a transmission service is almost always recommended. My advice is to carefully look at the facts and make the right repair decision. First of all clutches (internal to the trans.) (fiber discs) that move the vehicle are affixed to the plates by water soluble glue. The water starts to dissolve the glue and the clutch material comes apart. This can block lube passages further limiting the fluids ability to cool the transmission. This raises heat and can cause metal transmission parts to fatigue and fail. Internal electronic components such as sensors and solenoids can malfunction and short internally from water.
What does a transmission flush do?
Insurance adjusters try to save their company money so they recommend a transmission flush. What does a transmission flush do? It removes all of the fluid including whats in the torque converter and cooler lines.Then fluid is replenished with original equipment manufacturers (OEM) ATF. Whenever possible we recommend BG transmission fluid. This service can be helpful if the vehicle has not been started or driven at all and towed to the repair facility as soon as possible. Any way you look at it the best time to make a claim is when the vehicle is in the shop for water restoration. Not 6-months down the road when more severe symptoms occur. Our partner Wilson Imports and Domestics located in the same building provides unequaled flood restoration services for motor vehicles with or without insurance coverage.
What will happen at the transmission shop:
- The level and condition of the transmission fluid will be checked.
- The computer will be scanned for trouble codes (if possible).
- A sample of the fluid will be saved for the insurance adjuster.
- Pictures of the water in and around the transmission will be taken.
- Vehicle will have wet interior removed to allow drying.
- Electronics and wiring under dash and in kick panels will be thoroughly checked.
- If water has not gone up to the bottom of the dash board and the vehicle is new enough it can be repaired.
Let the professionals at Super Premium Transmission help you get through your automotive flood restoration process.
water damaged transmission advice: This transmission needs major repairs after water got into it.