transmission vs engine miss
Diagnosing transmission vs engine miss has become a more common occurrence. At both Wilson Imports and Domestics and Super Premium transmission customers bring in vehicles with drivability issues. These are some of the issues we encounter:
Common Transmission Problems:
- Automatic trans staying in gear too long– poor performing gasoline can cause the transmission to stay in gear longer in order to produce enough power to move the vehicle. This type of fuel problem can also cause the transmission to “hunt” suddenly downshift into a lower gear. A suggested repair would be a fuel stabilizer treatment or a fuel injector treatment. If a diagnostic Trouble code (DTC) appears have the transmission scanned. DTC can be interpreted by following a diagnostic procedure which often allows simple repairs before replacing major components.
- Torque Converter malfunction – The torque converter falls in and out of lock-up or does not go into lockup (final drive) at all. This is usually caused by the engine not running smooth enough to allow transition into lock-up final drive. The result is transmission running at higher temperatures. Also this condition causes the engine to run at slightly higher Revolutions Per Minute (RPM). If your torque converter has run hot we suggest you consider a transmission check out or even a flush.
- Lack of power – If the vehicle slips and hesitates when the gas pedal is applied you might be low on transmission fluid . If there is no check engine light or transmission symptom it may be an engine issue. If your vehicle has an external fuel filter try changing it. If it has external spark plug wires test then change them if bad. Check and change the spark plugs if they are fowled. This procedure can be done at Wilson Imports and Domestics.
- Engine misfire – Engine sputters and sets check engine light codes. Have the spark plugs checked for water damage or bad electrode. If engine damage is suspected have a compression test run. Fuel injectors and coils should be electronically checked as well.
- Bad catalytic converter – When a catalytic converter fails the catalyst within the converter melts and creates a blockage in the exhaust system. Unable to breathe properly the engine has limited power. This is easily diagnosed and repairs can be performed at Wilson Imports and Domestics in most cases. This condition is often mistaken for transmission failure. Sometimes bad gasoline may cause this condition see above link.
- Poor vehicle performance begs the question, transmission vs engine miss? We can help figure it out.